PARTY SEASON HEALTH
DECEMBER 2021 ISSUE:
DOCTOR OF THE MONTH – RUTA KALTAUSKAITE
Bio: Private ENT Doctor, Based in Canning Town, East London.
Dr Kaltauskaite is a specialist in Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD); Tonsillectomy; Abscesstonsillectomy; Adenoidectomy; Excision and plastics of skin lesions; Tracheotomy; Minor trauma surgery: suturing, MUA; Paracentesis and tympanostomy with the insertion of grommets; Endoscopic nasal polypectomy.Professional experience since 2005
Topic for this Party Season
Gastro – Oesophageal reflux or Globus sensation (FOSIT)
During the winter months it is common for us to indulge a lot more with our food and drink. You may find that you gain a few pounds but over eating and drinking alcoholic beverages or fizzy drinks can lead to consequences with our health in more ways than one.
Symptoms of Oesophageal Reflux:
- Heartburn – A burning sensation in the middle of your chest.
- An unpleasant sour taste in your mouth, caused by stomach acid.
You may also have:
- Cough or hiccups that keep coming back
- Hoarse voice
- Bad breath
- Bloating and feeling sick
The above can be caused or made worse by certain food and drink – such as coffee, tomatoes, alcohol, chocolate and fatty or spicy foods.
Symptoms of Globus sensation: – The Feeling of something in the throat (FOSIT)
- Itchy throat.
- Swelling of the throat.
- Persistent clearing of the throat.
- Chronic cough.
- Catarrh, which is a build-up of mucus in the nose, throat, or sinuses.
What can I do to help ease my symptoms?
- Drink more water, a minimum of 1.5 litres (3 pints) per day in addition to any tea/coffee/cola.
- Avoid drinking more than 4 cups of coffee/tea/cola per day. …
- Stop any bad habits, such as shouting, raising your voice or throat clearing (swallow instead).